The NCRA Annual Business Meeting was held on July 29 during the 2021 NCRA Conference & Expo at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nev. Four of the six proposed NCRA Constitution & Bylaws amendments passed by a vote of the membership. Voting Members had the opportunity to vote during a 24-hour period following the meeting. Amendment #5 was removed from the voting ballot.
Members were able to view a live stream of the event; a transcript was made available following the meeting. The total number of voters was 740 (6.8%) of 10,836 electors. Each amendment needed a two-thirds majority (66.7%) vote to pass.
Amendment #1 changed the criteria of candidates to be nominated as Fellows of the Academy of Professional Reporters. The amendment was voted in by 513 (71.0%) for and 175 (24.2%) against, with 35 (4.8%) abstaining.
Amendment #2 adds language acknowledging that our membership includes captioners by adding a phrase such as “and/or stenographic captioner” throughout the Bylaws when the phrase “verbatim stenographic reporter” is used. The amendment was voted in by 692 (94.7%) for and 20 (2.7%) against, with 19 (2.6%) abstaining.
Amendment #3 would have allowed Participating Members to be elected to serve on the Board. The amendment failed with 402 (55.4%) for and 279 (38.5%) against, with 44 (6.1%) abstaining.
Amendment #4 allows Voting Members to vote on dues increases by electronic means. The amendment was voted in by 652 (89.8%) for and 38 (5.2%) against, with 36 (5.0%) abstaining.
Amendment #6 allows the Board of Directors to hold the Annual Business Meeting virtually as needed. The amendment was voted in by 674 (92.1%) for and 36 (4.9%) against, with 22 (3.0%) abstaining.
Amendment #7 asked for greater membership privileges for those holding the NCRA Certified Legal Video Specialist (CLVS) credential. The amendment failed with 413 (56.6%) for and 224 (33.4%) against, with 73 (10.0%) abstaining.
The full language of the amendments can be found on the NCRA website.
Also during the meeting:
- The new slate of officers was elected: President-Elect Jason T. Meadors, FAPR, RPR, CRR, CRC; Secretary-Treasurer Cindy L. Isaacsen, RPR; Vice President Kristin M. Anderson, RPR; Director Saba McKinley-Roberts, RPR, CRI. Per NCRA bylaws, Debbie Dibble, RDR, CRR, CRC, automatically ascends to the presidency.
- Yolanda Walton, FAPR, RPR, was elected to fill the remaining two-year Director term of Jason Meadors, FAPR, RPR, CRR, CRC, who was elected NCRA President-Elect.
- NCRA Executive Director Dave Wenhold, CAE, PLC, presented a flag that flew over the U.S. Capitol Building to NCRA President Christine Phipps, RPR.
- Wenhold presented a summary of the 2021-2024 NCRA Strategic Plan.
- At the end of the meeting, President Phipps handed the gavel to new NCRA President Debbie Dibble, RDR, CRR, CRC.