The third Gift Basket Extravaganza, sponsored by NCRA’s Government Relations Department to benefit its PAC (Political Action Committee), is happening at the 2022 NCRA Conference & Expo taking place July 21-24 at the Hyatt Regency Orlando in Orlando, Fla., and state affiliates are urged to participate by donating a basket for the raffle. Previous extravaganzas have raised in excess of $4,000 to support NCRA’s PAC.
This year NCRA’s Government Affairs Department is hoping even more states will join in the fun and showcase items unique to their states in beautifully displayed baskets. The last time the basket extravaganza was held was in 2019 at the annual Conference & Expo held in Denver, Colo. Twenty states participated by donating baskets filled with items that ranged from bottles of wine, cheeses, various snacks, baked goods, to FiestaWare, beach items, and more.
“By contributing to NCRA PAC, you have the direct power to shape and influence how the court reporting, captioning, legal videography, scopist, and associated legal professions are represented in Congress,” said Jocelynn A. Moore, J.D., NCRA Director, Government Relations.
“This year is a midterm election year, so that makes your participation this year more important than ever! NCRA has the unique opportunity to cultivate new alliances in the federal government and to ensure that members of Congress who support and know the importance of the court reporting and captioning professions remain in office,” she added.
Moore said that the baskets should reflect the uniqueness and pride of each state and state association.
“I remember when we were in New Orleans at the 2018 NCRA Conference, I contributed $100 to the PAC basket fundraiser, and I won three different baskets, and one of them was six fancy place settings,” said Cindy L. Isaacsen, RPR, an official court reporter from Shawnee, Kan., and NCRA’s Secretary-Treasurer.
“Lucky for me, there was a vendor there from the Kansas City area and I made a deal with her to buy her lunch if she would bring my winnings back to Kansas City. And out of that relationship, in addition to all the reporters she met in New Orleans, she took the NCRA A to Z® Intro to Steno Machine Shorthand program,” she added.
“Contributing to our PAC is so incredibly important. The funds are needed to educate and build relationships with our governmental officials so we can advance our initiatives. So, why not participate in the PAC Basket Raffle? You never know what you might win,” Isaacsen noted.
Don’t be left out. To date, the following state associations have committed to donating a basket:
- Alabama Court Reporters Association
- Colorado Court Reporters Association
- Illinois Court Reporters Association
- Indiana Court Reporters Association
- Maryland Court Reporters Association
- Massachusetts Court Reporters Association
- Minnesota Association of Verbatim Reporters and Captioners
- Mississippi Court Reporters Association
- New Hampshire Court Reporters Association
- Ohio Court Reporters Association
- Oregon Court Reporters Association
- Texas Court Reporters Association
- Washington Court Reporters Association
How the raffle works
PAC basket donors will bring their baskets and basket descriptions (see below) to the NCRA PAC booth upon arrival at the 2022 NCRA Conference & Expo. Then, Conference attendees who are NCRA members and contribute to NCRA PAC will receive raffle tickets based on the amount of their contribution. After contributing and receiving their raffle tickets, NCRA PAC contributors will place their raffle tickets at the basket that they wish to win. The NCRA PAC raffle will be held on Sat., July 23 at 4:25 p.m. at the last coffee break in the Expo Hall. The winner of each basket must be present to claim their prize.
In addition, each state affiliate that contributes a gift basket will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a free registration to the 2023 NCRA Leadership & Legislative Boot Camp taking place Feb. 26-28 in Washington, D.C. The free registration will be based on the basket that accumulates the highest number of raffle tickets – essentially the basket with the biggest draw.
How to submit a basket
If you plan to submit a basket on behalf of your state, please be advised of the following:
- You will be responsible for transporting your basket to the NCRA PAC Booth at the 2022 NCRA Conference & Expo. NCRA is not responsible nor liable for the transport or receipt of the basket at the Conference hotel. It is highly advised that you do not ship your basket to the Conference hotel, but rather bring it with you personally to the event.
- Your basket should be no larger than 15”L x 15”W x 15″H—to ensure that the winners will be able to easily transport their basket/s home post-Conference.
- Included with your basket, please:
- Provide the name of your NCRA affiliated state association;
- Provide a brief description and the total value of the contents that your basket contains;
- Include this information with your basket when you bring it to the NCRA PAC Booth at the 2022 NCRA Conference & Expo; and
- Be sure to also send this information prior to the Conference to NCRA Director of Government Relations Jocelynn Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please consider making a video clip of your basket so that we can inform the NCRA membership about the goodies your state association will be donating! Please send the clip to NCRA Director of Government Relations Jocelynn Moore at email@example.com.
If your state affiliate plans to contribute a basket or if you have questions, please contact Jocelynn Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.