The application deadline for the Stenograph Milton H. Wright Memorial Scholarship has been extended to Thursday, April 1. Students from NCRA-approved reporter education programs are encouraged to apply for the merit-based two-year award, which is worth up to $5,000 per year and will include use of a student writer and software.
Winning last year’s Stenograph Scholarship was inspiring and exciting for winner Lisa Wurtinger, a student at Anoka Technical College in Anoka, Minn.
“I am incredibly honored to be a recipient of this scholarship as I know so many students have worked hard for this opportunity,” Wurtinger said. “The A to Z program introduced me to this incredible field, and to receive recognition for my hard work is so rewarding. The generosity of Stenograph with this scholarship gives me the encouragement and determination to continue on this journey toward graduation.”
This scholarship is offered through the National Court Reporters Foundation. Students must meet the eligibility requirements and submit the completed documentation listed below to qualify for the scholarship. Notification of the MHW Memorial Scholarship is sent each November to all NCRA-approved court reporting programs.
To be eligible to apply for the Milton H. Wright Memorial Scholarship, students must meet the criteria below:
- Attend an NCRA-approved court reporting program
- Have completed an NCRA A to Z® Intro to Steno Machine Shorthand program
- Have received an NCRA A to Z® Certificate of Completion
- Have attained an exemplary academic record (3.5 GPA or above)
- Have passed one skills test writing 80-120 words per minute at the time of submission.
The following documents are required to be submitted for application:
- Speed verification form
- A copy of the student’s most recent transcript
- A two-page, double-spaced essay responding to the following question: “What is one problem that you see facing the professions of court reporting and captioning today, and how would you propose to solve it through the use of technology?”
For more information on the Milton H. Wright Memorial Scholarship, please contact the Education Department at email@example.com.